New House, New Home

Since we got married Landon and I have lived in exactly 2 houses now. The first one we both moved in together after the wedding, I stayed in it a few nights before but I had my girls with me seeing as it was right before the wedding. There was so much going on and the humm of new marital bliss I didn't really have time to feel weird in a new house. Technically I had been living with our Grandparents for 6 months so it was weird having my own space but other than that I didn't have the moments of looking around thinking "this isn't home". Plus I got pregnant a month later so between the sickness and planning for a baby I didn't have much energy left for worry he he! But, I always get that feeling after moving and being in an unfamiliar space. This time was no different. However, the stall period may have been longer because as soon as we moved we spent every weekend back in Eugene with family for various events. Shyann's wedding was the last event to keep us away from this house. This past weekend was the first one we spent here and I have had the "This is not my home" feeling ever since. 

Usually once I have a house decorated I feel much better about it. When I have my own space the way I want it, organized but warm and welcoming then I feel a sense of home. I guess because we have been so busy and I haven't had time to do much organizing and decorating, I still don't feel like this is home. I did get Adeline's room mostly done so when I need it I take refuge in there! It all feels so foreign. I hate having neighbors on the other side of my wall as well. I am a perpetually loud person. Whether it's singing loudly along with music or playing with Adeline and stomping around the house, we are a loud family that is well known for randomly bursting into song louder than necessary. Or playing the piano with a lot of gumption. We are loud. And I am constantly stressed that we are to loud for our neighbors, luckily they, so far, have been very kind and welcoming to the neighborhood.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful we got this house because it is in a fantastic neighborhood. The rent isn't outrageous and most everything in it is new. Plus we have our own semi-private (aka its fenced but you can see right through the fence) back yard with a great space to entertain and let Adeline play. It is more than I hoped for, but I grew up having space to run and scream and be loud with no one but family for miles. I guess I was just not made for city life, and I can only hope I find a rhythm here soon. I have high hopes that Autumn will bring the sense of calm that always accompanies the changing of the leaves and the cool weather. I live for fall it's when everything is exactly to my specifications. So maybe it's just what I need to make this house into a home. ;) Baking always makes a kitchen feel lived in, and brings a lot of love. Baking is comforting, so I plan to make this houses first pumpkin roll very soon! Plus all the activities here to do in the fall. There is an amazing pumpkin patch not to far away that you ride a train to get to, I have never been on a train so I'm very excited for that.

We have only been here for a few weeks, and so far there are a few brothern that promise to let me know when they are in Salem so I can have some adult contact during the day once in awhile ha ha! So if you are coming this way, come on over! We can have a cup of coffee and hang out here or do something out of the house. That is a major bonus of living in a big city. There is SO much to do. Within a 20 mile radius there are 4 malls. 4!! That's a lot of shopping to be done ;) 

We are also close to a lot of beautiful hiking spots, some great kid parks and only about 45 minutes away from Portland. I can't wait to go up and visit some brothern up that way, its been way to long.

At the end of the day as long as Landon and Adeline are there, anywhere can be home. But I can't wait until we have a house feel like "home" again. For now, I will explore a new place and make the very best of the situation. We get to see Landon much more and he is like a whole new person now. After 9 months of driving almost 3 hours a day, he deserved to move closer and only drive 10 minutes to work. It is so nice to have my husband back, and to see him enjoy life again instead of him being dead tired by the time he gets home. It's only been a few weeks but I can see what a blessing us moving has been for him, and for that I would move anywhere. I am constantly trying to remind myself that God has a purpose for this, and hopefully I can find out what that is. <3


Comments

Popular Posts